This website is designed to help you make informed choices about the use of renewable energy systems for your home. The site shows how renewable energy systems can be combined together or used with an existing fossil-fuel fired systems to reduce your carbon emissions.
There are many choices of renewable energy systems available that can be incorporated into both new and existing homes. The choice of system will not only have an impact on your carbon footprint but also on the continued running cost of your home. Renewable energy systems can include space heating, hot water and electricity generation.
The first place to start when considering any of the methods of reducing your carbon footprint is energy saving. The most important element to allow you to get the best out of any of the renewable energy systems is to use them in a well insulated and draught proofed house. The first part of any investment in renewable energy should be to ensure your loft and cavity wall insulation is at least up to current standards, windows should be double glazed and draught seals fitted to all opening doors and windows.
Only when you have minimised heat loss should you consider adding a renewable heating system.
The details contained on this website are intended to introduce you to the possibilities of using various renewable technologies available in the UK today and give details on where you can find the necessary technical and installation information.
Latest news from the Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Statement to Parliament: Outcome of the strategic environmental assessment
- Press release: New onshore licensing round opens
- Press release: Applications to the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund close
- Press release: New long-term plan to safely dispose of radioactive waste
- Statement to Parliament: Publication of Implementing Geological Disposal White Paper 2014
- Press release: Biomass calculator launched
- Press release: Over £200 million boost for renewables
- Press release: Green Deal Home Improvement Fund reaches £50 million milestone in six weeks
- Statement to Parliament: Future fuel poverty framework: target, strategy and advisory group
- Press release: Cutting the cost of keeping warm to tackle fuel poverty
- Statement to Parliament: Review of the Fourth Carbon Budget
- News story: New world refrigerator ecodesign investigation
- Speech: Speech to the CBI Energy Conference 2014
- Press release: Boost for business energy efficiency and electricity sector investment
- Press release: UK calls for major changes to EU’s “cap and trade” emissions system