This website is designed to help you make informed choices about the use of renewable energy systems for your home. The site shows how renewable energy systems can be combined together or used with an existing fossil-fuel fired systems to reduce your carbon emissions.
There are many choices of renewable energy systems available that can be incorporated into both new and existing homes. The choice of system will not only have an impact on your carbon footprint but also on the continued running cost of your home. Renewable energy systems can include space heating, hot water and electricity generation.
The first place to start when considering any of the methods of reducing your carbon footprint is energy saving. The most important element to allow you to get the best out of any of the renewable energy systems is to use them in a well insulated and draught proofed house. The first part of any investment in renewable energy should be to ensure your loft and cavity wall insulation is at least up to current standards, windows should be double glazed and draught seals fitted to all opening doors and windows.
Only when you have minimised heat loss should you consider adding a renewable heating system.
The details contained on this website are intended to introduce you to the possibilities of using various renewable technologies available in the UK today and give details on where you can find the necessary technical and installation information.
Latest news from the Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Speech: Solar Britain
- Speech: UK new nuclear – 2013 successes and beyond
- Speech: EDF Hinkley Point C Supply Chain Conference Keynote Address
- News story: £3 million boost for energy storage innovation
- News story: Improving non-domestic RHI: Have your say
- Statement to Parliament: Clean energy infrastructure
- News story: Drax and the White Rose CCS Project
- Press release: Cleaner, greener future for British coal plants
- Speech: Ground Source Heat Pump Association
- News story: UK and Romania joint statement on Green Growth
- Statement to Parliament: Electricity Market Reform update: investment in renewables
- Press release: Record investments of £40 billion in renewable electricity to bring green jobs and growth to the UK
- Statement to Parliament: Increased support for renewable heat
- Statement to Parliament: Government action on energy bills
- Press release: Government action to help hardworking people with energy bills